Monday, July 19, 2010

Hello from Taylor

July 19, 2010

 

Hi family!

 

It was a fun week of transfers and getting everything set up for this transfer. I am really excited because the majority of my district from Allen are back in the zone, and we are going to play soccer today like we did back in the day in Allen. It's going to be great!

 

Things are going alright here. We didn't have much time to work today because we had to be in the terminal basically all day on Monday and Tuesday ushering people in and out, and Friday we had a zone meeting and then drove with president down to Esquel to have a zone meeting there on Saturday. We got back to our area at about 5 on Saturday, so we had a couple things that ate a lot of our time this week. But--- we had some miracles happen.

 

My companion and I are getting along better. In my interview with president, I talked with him about it, and I was talking it became obvious why I am still with him-- he respects me a lot and I realized that we, despite our differences, have a very special bond. I get through to him when I talk, and he's gotten a lot better these two transfers. And he knows me really well and is the one who is going to help me finish my mission well. I really got a testimony in that interview that it's the Lord's will we are still together.

 

Another miracle we had happened last night. We both during the week felt a bit prompted to go and start working in km. 13. So on Sunday (when we finally had time) we went and got going. We were knocking and not having any real success. We finished this one set of blocks and decided to go to another. In the way, there was a string of 5 houses, so i say lets knock those on the way over. We start and we get to one house that lets us in. (finally!!). we got in and saw a articles of faith card stuck on the mirror in their entry way and we both raised our eyebrows and said ´hmm...´ We started talking with Alberto and he is a pretty incredible man. For the past year and a half, he's been looking for his 7 kids. His wife went crazy one day and ditched him and took his 7 kids, and he has been searching and searching all over the country. He got wind a month ago that they may be here in Bariloche, so he came and has been living with his sister. He didn't have money to make it through his journey, so sometimes he stopped and worked small jobs to get money to eat and to travel, and so now he is here. On Thursday, he found his kids and ex wife. He was just overjoyed. He openly expressed his gratitude to God and got pretty emotional. He said he knows it was God that led him here. He then said ´I'm looking for a church—that's why I let you in.´ So we started. We taught about families, about God's love, about the atonement of Christ and how that can erase all sins. We asked him if he believed that, and he said ´no.. I don't think so.´ We then read parts of Alma 7 and bore strong testimony about how we've been washed clean, and told him he could experience the same. It clicked with him, and the spirit bore powerful testimony that it's true. We then read 14 and 15 in Alma 7 and challenged him to take the steps to repent and be baptized for the 14th of August. He accepted. We then verified it and asked him why he wants to and he said ´I just really want to be clean, to be pure, to get rid of all the bad that i have.´ we asked again if he wants to be baptized and he responds ´´ absolutely.´´ It was a pretty incredible lesson. This man has cirrhosis-- I don't know what it is in English, but its when you drink a lot and it kills your liver. He's quit drinking and the doctors told him a bit ago he has 6 months left. He says ´I've got more than that. I've got to be here for my kids. I'm going to be here for my kids.´ He's a strong guy. A really powerful guy. and we are really excited for him. Hopefully we can stay in contact with him and that he doesn't slip away!

 

We've got Alfredo as well—he's the 55 year old guy we found last week. We taught him twice this week and both times he was waiting for us with a Fanta and cookies and a notebook to write down the things he learns. We tried to put a fecha with him on Tuesday, but he declined saying he wants to learn more. I don't blame him. I'd say the same thing. But he is reading and loves the book of Mormon. I'm almost certain he is going to be coming to church this Sunday. We've got another young couple named Damien and Jessica who also are planning on coming. This Sunday we didn't have anyone, but next Sunday we are looking at having at least 3 or 4 people there. It's going to be great. We've got a bishop and a ward that really supports and helps new members stay and feel welcomed.

 

Remember in about January one time I was on divisions here in Bariloche and we found the guy who waved us back to his house and let us in and he had gone to church in Roca, and then 3 months later I was here on divisions again and we taught him and eliminated his doubt about stuff he had read on the internet about the church?? They finally got baptized in a week ago. I love hearing things like that, and it makes me want to work harder because we never know when we are going to find the next familia Guzman (this couple) or Alberto or anyone. 

 

I love this work. I love this life. 

 

Elder Jensen  

 

 

No comments: