Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Latest Elder Jensen update

May 25, 2010

 

Wow! Sounds like quite the adventure you two had moving all of that stuff out! I'm glad you were at least able to find a couple of treasures to take home. Sounds like contacting to me-- sift through all the stuff and every now and then you get something great!

 

Ezequiel got confirmed this Sunday and was doing just great. Yesterday we had an activity in the church and he showed up way early and just grabbed some ping pong stuff and started playing with whoever was there. He was a terribly shy kid at first, and now he is just really calm and has no problem in coming to activities and interacting with the other people. The family Sepulveda have been instrumental in helping him feel welcome and comfortable. I think my love for the familia Sepulveda has grown each passing week. This week, we had an investigator come to church for the first time and I grabbed Jackie and said ´hey there is someone here for the first time more or less your age... could you go meet her and ask her to sit with you? Jackie about ran over to do it, and I looked over about 5 minutes later and they were just deep in conversation. After church, Jackie comes over and says ´yeah she's great. I'm going over to visit her on Wednesday at 5!´ That family is incredible. They may be one of the best member missionary families I have ever seen. I think they've given away more than 10 books of Mormon in the past 2 months. Fernando (the son in law) has a brother who came to the wedding and is a good guy. I then made a street contact with him about 2 months later (about 2 weeks ago) and invited ourselves over. Unfortunately he doesn't live in our area, but he lives in the area of 2 elders that live with us. They passed by and started teaching and he is progressing a ton! He came to our ward's activity yesterday and is just a really special guy. I know he's going to get baptized next transfer for sure. And I am also sure that he isn't the end of baptisms that stem from the familia Sepulveda. They have 2 cousins or sister in laws or something that we are going to teach this next week who are thinking about starting coming to church even before we've taught them. Fernando´s mom and other sister also are going to start receiving missionaries soon. It's incredible to think of the difference that was made that one afternoon when elder Camacho and I went out knocking. It was about 3 in the afternoon when we met them. a lot of missionaries think that is a dead hour, the siesta. But I have looked at my baptisms and i think about 75% have been found in that ´dead´ hour. Incredible.

 

Samuel didn't get baptized this past Sunday. We've got a cita with them in about an hour, so we are going to put everything in line so that he gets baptized this Sunday for sure! We saw him one day in the street and he say ´and when am I getting baptized!?´ We'll take care of that pretty quick. I also received news this week that one of my investigators from Trelew is getting baptized next week-- I tried so hard to get this guy to progress, but it wasn't his time. Now he's getting in the water! It's so exciting.

 

Allen was great. I got to see the Onate's, Marquez, Eechegaray, Luis Tagle, and Tamara. They are doing okay--- hna Marquez just started crying when she saw us and said ´oh elders I've needed you so bad.´ it absolutely broke my heart. They had fallen and were having a ton of problems with her son who is losing his vision and is becoming suicidal. It was a really tough hour we spent there, but in the end, we read 1 Nephi 8 and drew the vision of the tree of life (something we had done before) and we reviewed it. I had them all label themselves, where they were. Some were in the river, some in the midst of darkness. I then labeled myself as Lehi (in the sense that as missionaries we call people to the tree) and then read some of the passages of that chapter in which Lehi is scared for some of his children and exhorts them with all the feeling of a tender father. I read those, and put in there the words missionary or brother. It was a touching moment for all of us, and i hope they can realize and understand that the iron rod wasn't us. It was and still is the book of Mormon, going to church, and praying. I think sometimes the rod gets confused. But I love that family so much and really hope they can overcome these mists of darkness that are surrounding them. The Echegaray´s were doing well. The boys were really happy to see us. Elder Henrie had a really special connection with Christian, and he was pretty emotional to see elder Henrie again. They had all kinds of food for us and it was awesome! They also have been reading the blog-- they have a translating program or something, so they were up to date about how we got robbed and all that. How fun! Luis Tagle announced he was getting married in July and baptized the next day. He's incredible. He knows a ton of church doctrine and is just waiting for the moment to get baptized. They had had a baby since I'd been gone! I didn't realize I was gone for so long! haha. I'm excited for him-- he is going to be a good leader in the church.

 

It's time to sprint to the finish. I'll be doing it through the snow! Mama- don't worry-- I'll grab boots here. I think they have extras, so I'll be good on that.

 

I love you family! Happy anniversary mom and dad!

T

No comments: